- 1 What are the 5 basic steps for softball pitching?
- 2 What makes a pitch illegal in softball?
- 3 What is the fastest softball pitch ever?
- 4 Who is the best softball pitcher of all time?
- 5 How much should a softball pitcher practice?
- 6 How long is a softball pitching mat?
- 7 Can you fake a pitch in softball?
- 8 What is the look back rule in softball?
- 9 Is the slip pitch in softball legal?
What are the 5 basic steps for softball pitching?
Coach Corral’s basic steps to pitching include the setup, the step back, the plant foot, the leg lift, power position, release and extension.
What makes a pitch illegal in softball?
For those not familiar, an illegal pitch in softball occurs when the pitcher breaks a rule while delivering her pitch. The illegal pitch is called by the umpire, resulting in an awarded ball to the batter in the box. A re-plant occurs when the pitcher begins her drag, stops, and re-continues it during her pitch.
What is the fastest softball pitch ever?
The fastest recorded softball pitch is 77 mph (123.9 km/h), achieved by Monica Abbott (USA) on 16 June 2012 in a National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) game for the Chicago Bandits against the Carolina Diamonds in Kannapolis, North Carolina, USA.
Who is the best softball pitcher of all time?
The best college softball pitchers of all time
- Cat Osterman. Texas — 2002-03, 2005-06.
- Monica Abbott. Tennessee — 2004-2007.
- Jennie Finch. Arizona — 1999-2002.
- Nancy Evans. Arizona — 1994-95, 1997-98.
- Lisa Fernandez. UCLA — 1990-1993.
- Michele Granger. California — 1990-1993.
- Danielle Lawrie.
- Courtney Blades.
How much should a softball pitcher practice?
To avoid all of the above and ensure you are pitching enough, here are a few guidelines. Practicing 3 times per week keeps you the same; 4 days a week or more makes you better. Throw no more than 400 full speed pitches per week. Spend time on the basics.
How long is a softball pitching mat?
Home to front of pitching rubber — In high school and college softball, the distance from home plate to the front of the pitching rubber in the middle of the pitcher’s mound is 43 feet exactly. The pitching rubber itself is a white slab that is 24 inches long by 6 inches wide.
Can you fake a pitch in softball?
In ASA you cannot quickpitch or fake. It’s actually an illegal pitch, not a balk. Spoken for truth, you must present the ball.
What is the look back rule in softball?
ASA Look Back Rule. The ASA “Look Back Rule” applies. When a batter gets a hit, play is live until the pitcher has possession of the ball in the eight foot radius around the pitchers mound. Once possession is made, all runners may only stop once, but then must immediately return to the base or advance to the next base.
Is the slip pitch in softball legal?
As long as the “slip” is judged to be accidental, this is not an illegal pitch. A “ball” is added to the batter’s count.