- 1 How do you teach a child to judge a fly ball?
- 2 How do you track down fly balls?
- 3 Why run on the toes when tracking down a fly ball?
- 4 What is the most dangerous position in softball?
- 5 What is a fair ball in softball?
- 6 What is the most important position in softball?
- 7 What direction should your fingers be pointed when catching a fly ball?
- 8 What is a pop fly?
- 9 Why can’t I see the ball in the outfield?
- 10 Why do you think it is important to know how do you field fly balls properly?
How do you teach a child to judge a fly ball?
Start your player with their back to you, then shout “go” (or blow a whistle), and toss a fly straight up. They’ll have to turn, find the ball, and track it down. The other way Belmont says he practices this drill is to have the kids lie down on their stomach on the field.
How do you track down fly balls?
Have your players drop the leg closest to the side the ball is on. If the ball is hit to their left, drop step with the left leg, turn and go to the ball. Hit deep and high fly balls. Have the outfielders turn and run to the spot where they think the ball will land.
Why run on the toes when tracking down a fly ball?
I teach outfielders that they must run on thier toes to make sure that the ball doesn’t jump around in their eyes. Its simple, common sense approach that really works. You just want the jarring of the landing foot to be taken up by muscle not transfered up the bones to the head.
What is the most dangerous position in softball?
Re: What is the most dangerous position on the field?
- Batters and pitchers had the highest absolute number of injuries due to impact with a batted ball in games.
- A total of 22% of the total game injuries to pitchers occurred from batted balls, and about one third of game injuries to third basemen involved batted balls.
What is a fair ball in softball?
A fair ball is a legally batted ball which a. Settles or is touched on or over fair territory between home and first base or between home and third base. b. Bounds past first or third base on or over fair territory, regardless of where the ball hits after going over the base.
What is the most important position in softball?
The most important positions in a team are the pitcher and catcher. A good pitcher can have a significant impact on a game and a good catcher controls all defensive plays.
What direction should your fingers be pointed when catching a fly ball?
Work with all of your players on the following fly-ball basics:
- Line your throwing side up with the ball.
- Get your glove up in-line with the ball with your fingers pointing to the sky.
- Elbows are bent and relaxed (do not extend arms straight to catch ball).
What is a pop fly?
noun Baseball. a high fly ball hit to the infield or immediately beyond it that can easily be caught before reaching the ground. Also called pop-up.
Why can’t I see the ball in the outfield?
Catching fly balls can be difficult for outfielders on a cloudy or overcast day. It’s tough to see fly balls clearly when the background is dark or gray. A quick fix is to use sunglasses that have an orange or yellow lens. The purpose of these lenses, are to brighten up the surroundings.
Why do you think it is important to know how do you field fly balls properly?
One of the most important parts of playing the outfield is to get to the ball quickly, secure it and then get it back into the infield. Work on this in practice and you can find success in games when it counts. It’s also crucial for an outfielder to know how to properly handle a ground ball that’s coming their way.