- 1 What is the result of being hit by a pitch in softball?
- 2 What are 3 things you need to do in order to properly hit a softball?
- 3 What are 2 key points for successful batting in softball?
- 4 What does BB mean in softball?
- 5 Why do batters hit the plate?
- 6 Does hit by pitch count for on base percentage?
- 7 What is the best batting stance for softball?
What is the result of being hit by a pitch in softball?
Definition. A hit-by-pitch occurs when a batter is struck by a pitched ball without swinging at it. He is awarded first base as a result. Strikes supersede hit-by-pitches, meaning if the umpire rules that the pitch was in the strike zone or that the batter swung, the HBP is nullified.
What are 3 things you need to do in order to properly hit a softball?
5 Tips on Softball Hitting Techniques
- Tip 1 – Grip. When gripping the bat, the hitter applies pressure with the fingers, not the palms.
- Tip 2 – Hand Position. The hands start close to the body about three to four inches in front of the chest and between the shoulders.
- Tip 3 – Swing.
- Tip 4 – Contact.
- Tip 5 – Follow – Through.
What are 2 key points for successful batting in softball?
More videos on YouTube
- Good Balance, with the feet comfortably apart.
- Slight, but Equal Bend in the Knees.
- Slight Bend in the Hip so that you set the proper plane of the barrel when you get ready to swing.
- Make sure the hips and shoulders are facing the plate, or “flat” and square to the plate.
What does BB mean in softball?
Definition. A walk (or base on balls) occurs when a pitcher throws four pitches out of the strike zone, none of which are swung at by the hitter. In the scorebook, a walk is denoted by the letters BB.
Why do batters hit the plate?
They are using it as a measuring tool to confirm their preferred location in the batter’s box. Touching the outside edge of the plate will ensure that, when swung level, the bat’s sweet spot will reach a strike on the outside corner.
Does hit by pitch count for on base percentage?
OBP refers to how frequently a batter reaches base per plate appearance. Times on base include hits, walks and hit-by-pitches, but do not include errors, times reached on a fielder’s choice or a dropped third strike.
What is the best batting stance for softball?
To be a successful hitter you need to start in a relaxed, balanced stance. An athletic stance involves: Spreading your feet wider than shoulder-width apart. Pointing your toes slightly inward, with the weight of your body on the inside part of your feet and forward on the balls of your feet.